Did someone say Mothers day?
This year has gone so fast, I didn’t even realise how close Mother’s day was! March already!?
If you’re anything like me, you love birthdays, christmas, easter and pretty much any holiday. I love decorating, swapping round my wardrobe, buying people gifts and most of all just organising and planning.
I’ve always been the friend who hosts parties and sleepovers. I get messages from friends and family saying “We can’t wait until Halloween! What’s the theme going to be this year at your party?” – Honestly, it’s like we’re party planning celebrities!
Mothers day is one of those occasions where it’s quite low key, calm, quiet and personal. It’s a rather laid back occasion where there isn’t really much pressure or expectation as to the size or expense of the gifts and plans. You’d think this would make it easier to plan for, but It kind of makes it harder. Do we go big? Do we keep it small? Do we invite family? Do we have a homemade meal or go out?
Well, here I may be able to help you with some ideas and inspiration to make Mother’s day unique, special and fun.
Gift Ideas for Mum!
If your Mum or mother like figure is “The Practical Type” then this section may be perfect for you
This type of mum will be the straight laced kind of gal who enjoys practical gifts that can help her stay organised, on top and ready for her days ahead!
Is your Ma a fan of stationary? Does she have a job that requires her to keep paperwork and diaries? Does she journal or write lists often? Or does she love new jumpers, shoes, slippers? Is she big on self care? If so then this may help point you in the right direction!
My partner and I have actually bought my mother in law a new toaster, kettle, cutlery etc. She loves them and It’s most certainly come in handy!
- Here are some Ideas for“The Practical Type” Mum:
- As You may or may not know, I love Paperchase and any type of stationary shop or section. I personally think that for the practical or organised type Mum stationary or office supplies are a good gift. You can choose pretty looking ones and even personalise them with nice stickers or markers!
- Hand bags, purses or clothing can all be wonderful gift ideas for the Practical type mum. These are things that will be of constant use and reminder of your love and thoughts towards her. You can never have too many bags! One for each occasion, she deserves it. And what better than a new jumper or dress, providing you know mums taste in clothes and the right sizes etc.
- A box set of bath or shower products is perfect for a busy mum on the go who deserves to practise some self care. My all time favourite place for products is LUSH. You can buy ready made gift sets or even create your own little assortment to mums likings! Oh and they do mothers day themed products, so It makes choosing products easy!
- Homeware can be a good one for mothers day gifts. Helping a little with things needed can take some strain from mums mind and help her enjoy her home and the important things within it that she needs to have a nice, simple home life.
- Vouchers for mums favourite shops can be so lovely and helpful! It means she can buy the things she needs but knowing you have made that possible will be that bit extra special
Is your mum into cuddly generic gifts like lovely little bears? Does she love visually beautiful ornaments with “Mum” on? Is she a keen fan of a nice new “No. 1 Mum mug”? If so, You’ve come to the right place!
- Here are some ideas for “The Cute and Cheesey Type” Mum:
- “Mum” vouchers are always one for those who are stuck on gift ideas. They give your mum the power to use her Motherly authority to get you to do chores or make dinner! I’m sure this is the best gift for a mum looking to sit back every so often and be treated like a queen.
- If Your mum is into Star Signs, why not buy her some of her birth stone jewellery or maybe her sign themed mug etc. I know that personal star sign crystals are always a lovely, personal item that you can experiment with in terms of gifts. Put them in a nice box with a hand written meaning of each crystal or stone etc.
- A Cuddly Teddy is always on the cards for a simple, lovely gift. I’m a huge fan of Card shops “Mothers Day” themed items like Teddies and ornaments as they are affordable, cute and beautifully simple
- Chocolate or Fancy biscuits are always a good idea! Does this one even need an explanation? I think the next step up the ladder is to make the tasty treats yourself for her!
Is your mum a fan of humour? Could you describe her as a Crazy mum? Well I know for a fact that this describes my mum perfectly! I know that I can buy funny gifts for her and she’d love them dearly! For instance, I bought mum a pack of Feminine nappy pants and she absolutely loved it. She opened it and burst out laughing! We still talk about it months after!
- Here are some gift ideas for “The Funny One”:
- Some crazy looking self care items such as Bubble Face Masks and Gel Lip masks – Both have had my mum and I in tears of laughter trying them out! So, it’s fun as well as pampering, the perfect gift
- I know this may not be for all, especially those who may not have the most open relationship with their mums, but my brother once bought my mum a “Willy” shaped bottle of Brandy, which she loved so much! She found it so amusing to look at, share the story with others years on and also, she used to love drinking brandy – What could be better?
- Joke gifts are always fun, but I think we all have to set boundaries right? Or not… If you’re daring and think your mum can handle the banter hehe! Why not get her a cheap sex toy that she can pee herself laughing at! Or even a “Make your perfect boyfriend” crotchet or knitting kit!
- You could make a Photo album or scrap book purely holding funny memories and pictures in to remind her not to take life too seriously and that some of the best memories are the funny ones we spend laughing with and at one another!
- I think any one of any age has that little sentimental side to them. The soft spot for memory books, photo albums, memorial gifts and personalised items runs in all of us at some point, especially a mother who has brought a life into the world and cherishes the ground they walk on. Memories are so important and can bring a spark of joy and pure wonder to them.
- Here’s some Ideas for you & “The Sentimental Type”
- Teddies are a winner in my eyes. Especially for this type of mum! If they need some cuddles and sometimes need that reminder of love, comfort and their worthy, this cosy little friend can be a constant reminder.
- A mug from your local card factory or ASDA or any of your preferred gift stores. Who doesn’t need more mugs?
- Personalised gifts! It’s always a winner, whether it be a MoonPig card or a gift with their favourite quote on! It goes to show that extra level of thought and love put into the selection of gift.
- Memorial gifts for animals or past relatives that they are deeply close to. I found that the love of a mother goes far beyond just their children; They have big hearts and that love is so special
- Photo albums – One amazing thing about photo albums is rear it is so personal and individual. You can make it into a scrap book, you can write in special dates, memories and just in general making it unique to your family.
Things to do on Mothers Day!
A Cheeky Outing: Drinks and whatever tickles Mums fancy!
I know Mothers Day is a Sunday thang (Yep, not thing) and we can expect mainly relaxing times for it, but it doesn’t stop us from taking our mums out for a cheeky drink or two on the Saturday; Make a weekend of it!
A Fancy meal out!
Home cooked Meal!
If You’re in the financially safe place, maybe a meal out will be on the agenda.
There is nothing better than gathering your siblings & close family, going to your favourite restaurant and being waited on, eating good food and sharing laughter. Making memories couldn’t be easier when you don’t have to cook the food or worry about accommodating everyone in your home!
If you and your family prefer to celebrate Mothers day at home, why not plan in advance a simple or difficult meal to prepare? If you’re new to hosting and cooking, you can choose some simple food to make! Or if You love challenges, take your mums favourite cuisine and create a meal she most certainly will not forget! and even more special that you have created it for her.
I have always loved the idea of hosting a small gathering at my home for special occasions like mothers day. I gather my close family and I create a tasty feast for everyone to dig into and enjoy. Being home means we can cook whatever we like, eat whenever we like and there is less pressure to get up and worry about travelling to places and buying expensive meals etc. It gives you an excuse to stay in your Pyjamas and indulge in tasty food and drinks, in the safety of your own home, surrounded by those you love. Below are some images of small buffets I’ve done in the past!