This is a Collaborative/partnered post.
Having too much clutter in your house can lead to a stunt in motivation and the feeling as though you can’t turn back and make progressive changes. It can make your home feel generally not clean and in need of a refresh. You can, however, make sure that you’re on track to having a tidier, more functional space with some simple tips. If you feel you have too much but don’t want to throw things away, then storage spaces could be ideal for you. Look at Now Storage to see how it could help you before you start your decluttering.
What better time than now to sort things out and spring clean during the Covid-19 pandemic. So plan out everything efficiently before you start:
- Know how you’re going to move things out of the house if putting into storage.
- Set up a box or basket for every genre of items (knick knacks, bed sheets etc or by room) which will make the whole process easier and less overwhelming.
- Maybe make moodboards and envision in your mind exactly how you want it to look.
- Have a “maybe” box. See which things you definitely want to keep and which ones you aren’t sure about to come back to afterwards.
- Don’t tackle the whole house at once, do a room at a time and avoid stress and too much to do.
Starting with your living room!
Let’s say you want to start with your living room, there are things to implement as you go along and things that will make the process much easier.
- Identify the “main problems” – whether it’s books, knick-knacks or games, throw things out that you know you will never use! Or at least, pop them in a charity bag if they are in good condition.
- Get rid of outdated technology, broken remote controls, any old games consoles or any bits of tech that just don’t serve you anymore.
- Look at old books you can donate and also if there are any junk drawers to sort through which have collected old letters, bills and bank statements and dispose of correctly.
- Strip stained or shabby cushions and give them all a thorough clean or chuck them out and buy some fresh ones!
- You can Keep old magazines but maybe pop them in a basket or box neat in an area of your room or maybe under your coffee table.
- Messy shelves never look good. Neaten up and sort through the items and you will instantly see a big difference.
- Add the finishing touch – fragrant fresh flowers or a candle can keep things light and airy. This is what will ultimately make your home feel lighter and fresher.
Ready to have a little spring clean? You can move onto one room after the next until you feel that you have given your home an overhaul and it feels fresh and clear. Our homes are our havens and workplace at the moment so keeping them clean and free from dust and clutter will be vital for our health and well being.