Let’s face it! Media can be so negative and dangerous to our mental and physical health if we aren’t careful. For today let’s focus on keeping our time on social media positive and safe. Let’s make our time on social platforms happy, uplifting and free of criticism and negativity.
Instead of judging others and assuming we know there story based on their posts, maybe we could spare some of our time online complimenting others and supporting them with sharing and reading their blog posts, watching youtube videos or just engaging with like minded individuals you can relate to.
Social media would be a much nicer place to be if we were all kind and supportive of one another!
Tips to be social media Savvy!
- Keep your feed positive and free of negativity by focusing on following accounts who post about positive lifestyle and care about sharing kind messages as opposed to negative and critical content.
- Keep track of who you allow to follow you and contact you. There are a lot of accounts that are out to cause trouble and critique others on every little thing. Monitor your requests carefully to avoid these negative or bot accounts.
- Think about what you post. As well as keeping your following positive and kind, remember that there are people or bots who will comment on your posts and can be very negative about the content within the post. Some people will target your images such as ‘body positivity’ and food images with negative comments and weight and health. To keep these under safe reigns, get a friend or family member to moderate your comments if your account is public.
- Take regular breaks from Media and reflect on how it makes you feel. Try not to spend too much time on it as it can become consuming and make you feel obliged to post. You have to keep in touch with reality and what matters when taking up your precious time.
- Remember that behind a screen there is always someone with real life issues like the rest of us. Social media images and content can cloud our perception and judgment of others and we can often compare ourselves to an idea of a person that isn’t always correct. Even those with tonnes of followers, money and work have their own issues behind the screen of their computer or phone. Images can be edited and changed to look like much more so don’t let this make you doubt your worth in life.
- If it doesn’t bring you joy, distance yourself from it and leave the platform. Some social media platforms aren’t made for everyone. You can find a place where you feel happy and comfortable without the need to feel pressurised. Social media content creating should be fun, not a chore. Be Mindful about what you put your time and effort into.
Do you find yourself on social media every day for hours? If so, try taking some well deserved time out. Rest your eyes and do something that makes you happy. If you are finding negativity through your media, find ways around it. Make your content comments only open to people who you follow and who follow you. Get someone to check on comments and moderate for you just in case some mean people have found their way to your content and have left some criticism. Be mindful of who you allow to see your content. There are so many amazing people online but there are also people out to upset those for no reason, be mindful of this.
If someone is mean to you online, remember it isn’t you doing something wrong, it’s them simply preying on people. You are wonderful and deserve a positive experience online!