It’s Autumn, as you may be aware which means we are yearning for hearty warm food to fill our soul with warmth, richness and contentment. I, for one love soups all year round but when Autumn starts to make it’s appearance I instantly turn into a crazy lady for pumpkin and squash soup, hearty roasted vegetables, rich homemade desserts, homemade fresh breads and pops of pomegranate! I enjoy home baking, trying new recipes and also seeing the seasonal transition of menus in pubs, cafes and restaurants which is always super fun to see what they will bring.
Autumn feasts are the best! Getting cosy and content at home with some cosy blankets, comfy pillows, good company and of course a grand feast of hearty, warm food! Autumn isn’t just about pumpkin soup, you can create so many amazing warm dishes that make you really feel apart of the season. If you’ve never tried pumpkin in soup, I recommend you do! Its not for everyone but is beautiful in a homemade blended hearty, herby soup!
Sweet homemade goodies!
I am a huge fan of baking sweet treats and cooking in general to be honest but I have most fun with making cookies, brownies and sheet cakes with all different flavours and toppings which is fun, joyful, therapeutic, productive and you get a treat at the end of it! A good payment for all of your hard work.
This year I have three little beasties running around so baking will have to of course involve them which may mean MESSY KITCHEN ALERT! but who cares? It keeps them happy, teaches them and helps them feel proud of something they have created. But yes I am hoping to get some baking sessions in this Autumn as I feel like I’m slacking a little this year! My treats were supposedly good enough for the Princes trust to want me to start a baking business and go on bake-off so they must be a little more than edible hehe!
I don’t think it’s Halloween without some awesome gruesome creations in the laboratory (kitchen).. So I try to make different flavoured treats and spruce up the design a little, even if they don’t look perfect! It’s all about having fun.
My favourite meals during Autumn
So here are some of my favourite meals to eat during Autumn:
* Soups – I adore making different kinds of soup. They are a great dish to make for the whole family and a smart way of sneaking it tonnes of veggies!
* Curries – Although I love a good curry throughout the year, I love making a Tikka, dhal or korma curry from scratch during Autumn time. There is something about the crisp cold air that makes me want homemade rich curries I can enjoy making with fresh ingredients.
* Pasta bakes and pasta dishes – One of the quickest and easiest delicious dishes for my family and I is pasta based. It’s great for the whole family and there are so many ways you can spruce up a simple dish. We love making our homemade cheese sauce using celery, butternut squash, sweet potato and vegan cheese. It’s a great way to make a homemade Mac and cheese. I also love a good meatball tomato pasta bake. Warm, simple, easy to make and delicious!
* Pies – Whether it’s shop bought or homemade, pies are the ultimate addition to a warm meal during the colder seasons. Pastry filled with rich, delicious filling with a side of mash and veg is just heaven for me! I love making my own delicious filling and using a shop bought pastry to make a pie and top it with fun decorations made out of pasty and cut using a fun cookie cutter! I also love making mini tarts with puff pastry! Like bitesized pie tarts with a delicious filling. It’s so much fun for the little ones.
* Pizza – Another great one for going solo or sharing with the family. Pizza is simple, easy and most people love it which makes it easy to have a pizza night with some films or games. You can order in, buy shop bought or even buy in some pizza bases or make one from scratch. Either way it’s fun, delicious and warm; perfect for an Autumn evening in. I know it’s certainly relevant for my perfect evening routine!
Thank you so much for reading! I hope you’re feeling hungry.